Thursday 17 November 2011

Volunteering opportunity with children and adults by Aimee

It was fantastic!! It’s not every day you can say a person 3 times your age is fitter than you are. [...]

Words can’t describe how I feel now having taken part in this experience, however I do know I wouldn’t hesitate to do it all over again without changing a thing. I had the best time of my life and I will never forget it!!

Aimee


Aimee in one of the famous street of Lille.

Hi, my name is Aimee and I live in Leeds. I am 19 years old with a passion to discover the world. My first EVS project consisted of 3 weeks working with young people, teaching sports in Lille, France.
During my time in France the work I took part in was very tiring. There wasn’t a dull moment to say the least. Even with the language barrier the children weren’t scared to address me and i was comfortable teaching them. Teaching sports was amazing. It wasn’t just football or rugby, it was every kind of sport there is. I even got the opportunity to teach the children what i do in the UK which was twirl. Teaching them majorettes was a big accomplishment for me and i am so grateful I had the opportunity to do this. Along with teaching children I also had the privilege of working with adults. I took part in boxing and aerobics. Thinking it was going to be easy going due to the older ages of the ladies I had loads of enthusiasm. However when the sessions began I quickly changed my mind. After every session I was exhausted and the other ladies seemed to be enjoying themselves at my expense. I was intrigued at their stamina and found it humorous that I was crawling around the floor with no energy left. It was fantastic!! It’s not every day you can say a person 3 times your age is fitter than you are.
The people I met during my time in France were amazing. Everyone was very helpful and available to contact at any time if i needed help or advise. Especially at Adice, my receiving organisation. The staff were fantastic and easy to talk to. Also the people in the accommodation where i lived were the best people i have ever met. I have made some really good friends.
Now I have returned to the UK, I have no idea what i want to do next. It is in my intentions to take part in a longer EVS project but I also want a stable lifestyle here in Leeds. Perhaps a full time job and a new place to live on my own. Another thing I wouldn’t have the guts to do before my trip. Speaking of this I am due to move into my new home in 6 weeks so I am very excited and have this project to thank for it.
Before my project I was very shy, lacking self confidence and avoided confrontation as much as possible. Now, I am very confident in myself, I enjoy the company of new people and I am not afraid to be myself. My three weeks in France seemed like an eternity now but when I was there it went by so quickly. I have met some of the best people I will ever meet,  that come from all over the world. I knew before I took part in the project I had to find the courage to do something like this, although I didn’t think I would ever get the opportunity. If it wasn’t for Everything is Possible I don’t believe I ever would. Words can’t describe how I feel now having taken part in this experience, however I do know I wouldn’t hesitate to do it all over again without changing a thing. I had the best time of my life and I will never forget it!!


Aimee, Short Term Volunteer in France.
Project supported by the Youth in Action Programme of the European Commission.