Thursday 3 November 2011

Testimony from Jade, Short Term volunteer in Sweden

Jade from Scarborough went to Sweden for 2 months to undertake a volunteering project (EVS), funded by the European Commission. During her project Jade took part in many different activities : '' During the project I worked with youth and young people in a youth cafe (Solna ungdoms cafe). I worked at a youth festival that focused on music and media; the music was varied and on the media side, there was a photo and video project. I was part of a workshop with people from France, Denmark, Sweden and the UK, that focused on dance. We carried out activities with the group like treasure hunts (went around Sweden) and took part in dance and music workshops. I worked in childrens parks and went away to a summer camp. With children from these parks and camps I carried out various activities like playing games, canoeing, dance, group focused and independent games.''
 

Jade was very enthusiastic about the impact of this opportunity on her. ''I learned to trust my own initiative more and with that be more confident and express my own opinions more freely in a group. I learned a lot from the culture difference and now feel I have a better understanding of others and their backgrounds. I also learned the basis of a new language (Swedish). I am unsure of what I'd like to do in the future, but hopefully I will carry on volunteering.''