Wednesday 23 November 2011

Poem of Rebekah, one of the winner of 'Your Story' Competition

We are please to publish today the fantastic poem of Rebekah who won second place in the Youth in Action essay category of the British Council and Ecorys 'Your Story' Competition. Rebekah who is still volunteering in France (EVS supported by the Youth in Action Programme of the European Commission), will come to London tomorrow for the Prize Awards Event at the British Council London offices.  Everything is Possible staff will be there to support her. Rebekah writes every month some fantastic blogs: We published already some on Turn Up The VOLume.
Enjoy her poem as we enjoyed reading it.

BROADENING HORIZONS - MY YOUTH IN ACTION EXPERIENCE
by REBEKAH WARBURTON

There are experiences in life that come so rare
Suddenly appear, surprising you, drawing you in
"Youth in Action" had this exact effect
On my life it seems, stirring my choices deep within
A story of passion, excitement and daring
Growing as a person with an opportunity once in a million
No longer feeling the need to hide like a chameleon

Discovered by mistake I thought I must be dreaming
"Everything is Possible" in Leeds assured the contrary
With documents signed and mentally prepared
I left behind in the U.K. my life with everything known and safe
Sped into Lille in France in the spur of the moment
A change to my life to forever remember
But a project that will end in the month of December

From the first of June I was truly immersed
French life becoming habit, their customs ingrained
To queue in the shops and truly take turns?
I think not in France, to be at the front everyone yearns
Or to work hard through the day and party at night
I think so in this lively and buzzing country
Where soirées (evening gatherings at friend's houses)
Make each and every week welcoming and bright

Within the project I have grown and developed
Working with young people around the same age
Understand the implications of a town full of unemployment
Where all that a person wants is a simple wage
Between the ages of 18 and 30, struggling to get by
Until the European Voluntary Service, like it did for me
Gives them a reason to feel they can fly

Delivering English workshops to those who will depart
Giving them the confidence to get up and start
They, like me, will move to another country
So in the shortest of time I have developed the skill
To build up their confidence and for them to truly have the will
To speak English confidently with a smile on their face
And not to feel that the learning process is one big race

Despite this, butterflies fluttered the first time I stood
In front of a group with blank faces, lives misunderstood
To inspire them to learn when their studies had not found them jobs
Was a challenge for me, to evoke a response
Adapting techniques and developing resources
To teach English uniquely and individually so that they could relate
Not feeling as though at school, where your mind is governed by the state

The challenge from then on to keep moving forwards
Was to adapt to the needs of each volunteer individually
Establish the levels of understanding and ability to talk
To allow them to flourish in English and on their own two feet walk
Not worry about making mistakes in a world full of perfectionism
Where self expectation can force you to hide behind a mask
Instead helping them to realise they were worthy of this task

Furthermore than the English I have completed many tasks
Such as documents designed to prepare the volunteers in every way
With exercises such as evaluating the skills they already know
Through which to them their strong abilities I could show
Whilst at the same time developing my ability to organise
And assess that which is needed before such a life changing experience
So creative and stimulating tasks I have had to devise

Additionally I have created a document designed to promote
This wonderful service so that like it has helped me, it can aid
The future volunteers "La Mission Locale de Lille" will send abroad
Through photos, videos and testimonies of the volunteers on projects
The departing young people can also become promoters to a scheme full of promise
With the guidance on how to do this that I have written
The art of communication to spread the word and become smitten

Smitten is the word for my sentiments for this country and project
Having been swept off my feet in ways unimaginable
Now planning to stay and continue my personal development
I have began the search for jobs in the adventure of life never-ending
So for now I say thank you for this amazing opportunity "Youth in Action" has offered
Life changing in so many ways that words cannot describe
Moving in positive ways, onwards and upwards, to new horizons it is sending.

By Rebekah Warburton




Visit Rebekah's blog: http://bex-warburton.blogspot.com/