Thursday 10 November 2011

''My EVS project in Turkey'' by Adam (Bradford)

''During my time in Antalya i was working in a school with children aged between 8 - 15, a lot of the children could not speak very strong English so i had to be very patient with them and sometimes get one of the Turkish volunteers to help me with translation.''



"Hi my name is Adam im from Bradford and i recently took part in an EVS project in Turkey - Antalya. During my time in Antalya i was working in a school with children aged between 8 - 15, a lot of the children could not speak very strong English so i had to be very patient with them and sometimes get one of the Turkish volunteers to help me with translation.

A normal day at the school would look something like this:
8:30am - We would have P.E in the morning as it got to hot through the day, P.E would be either volleyball, Basketball, Foorball etc. In the class i would normally help around 15 or 20 children.

9:30am - After P.E we would have our first English lesson of the day. The English lessons would  consist of learning the English alphabet, days of the week, Months, numbers or sometimes the children would point at objects that they wanted to know the English words for.
After this there would be two more English lessons with children of different age ranges taking me up to 11:30am.

In the afternoon we would go to a small centre in a different part of Antalya, here children from an under privilaged background would come here we would teach English  they wanted to know, play games, draw or anything they wanted to do. This would take us upto 4pm and the end of out day with the children.

I really enjoyed working with the children in Turkey they were all cool and they also helped me with my Turkish speaking."
Adam, Short Term Volunteer.

Project part of INCLUSION FOR ALL
and supported by the British Council
and the Youth in Action programme
of the European Commission