Wednesday 23 November 2011

Poem of Vaila, other winner of 'Your Story' Competition

We are delighted as well to share with you the brillant poem of Vaila who won third place in the Youth in Action essay category of the British Council and Ecorys 'Your Story' Competition. Vaila will come as well to London tomorrow for the Prize Awards Event at the British Council London offices.  Everything is Possible staff will be there to support her.

Enjoy her poem as we enjoyed reading it.

BROADENING HORIZONS - MY YOUTH IN ACTION EXPERIENCE
by VAILA WHITTAKER

It started off with an idea; I started engineering
to go abroad to Italy- to do volunteering
A move that was bold
made at just 17 years old
It needed a spoonful of strength and spirit
But courage was the main culprit
You see back then I had these things
But I didn’t believe in me- no confidence,
low self-esteem this was my circumfluence.
I wanted something -which changed everything
I had belief in the idea
Yes there would be un po’ di nostalgia
But I really didn’t care.

So off I went to Italy
Era una bella esperienza per me 
I left all I knew friends and family
di lavorare con gli anziani.
I worked in a care-home in the entertainment sector
At first I was just an observator
Not knowing the lingo and all
It was like trying to walk before you can crawl
I chatted to the elderly everyday -
well mainly listened at first!
One  of the things about going away
is that I went into things head first
like throwing yourself into a storm
I learnt to grow as a person and became independent
And that was just the platform...

Not to give up when the going gets tough
On watch resident X escaped
I let him go with his friend- a bad influence
he went to the pub to drink
more than his daily allowance!
I learnt from this it didn’t get me down
Not to make snap judgements
And make-sure that first I get the low down
Life is full of accidents
But I see now mistakes as feedback
to improve and learn from for the next time
they’re apart of successful life- how else are you meant to learn?
I had made a rapid climb.

Over time I had a good relationship with the elderly
And I actually could understand them!
I read them newspapers everyday
And they tell me stories of memories of war and family
I’d play board games with them and paint and design
I made them smile and they made me shine.

An experience that no-one can take away
New friends, new country a fresh start
From the norm, everything and everyone, faraway
If asked again I would take part.
By Vaila Whittaker