Wednesday 19 October 2011

7 years after his EVS, Azeem is sharing with us the impact that this experience had on his life.






This testimony is an extract from Everything is Possible Newsletter ''Journey''. For more news about Everything is Possible and testimonies click on the following banner:



Azeem volunteered in 2004 in Norway, as part of a short term EVS opportunity funded by the European Commission. Seven years on, he is sharing with us the impact that this experience had on his life.

"Hello! My name is Azeem. Over 7 years ago I undertook a 4 week EVS program in Solborg, Norway. It was the first time I’d ever volunteered and the experience was extraordinary. As part of a small village community, I worked on a farm milking cows, tending to fields, doing forestry work and other jobs around the village. I shared a house with fellow volunteers from England and Europe.

The people I met and experiences I had in Norway will stay with me for the rest of my life. My time there truly opened my eyes to how amazing the world can be. It opened my mind to new experiences, other cultures, and made me appreciate things in life considerably more. Most of all my time In Norway further cemented my future goals, aspirations, and where I wanted to be in life as the trip greatly increased my confidence. I am originally from a tough council estate and my life could have ended up very different if I hadn’t had the determination to succeed in life. My EVS experience most certainly added fuel to that fire...

One weekend our team leader Adnan took us up a mountain with a beautiful lake at the top. Whilst here Adnan told us all to write a letter, addressed to ourselves detailing our goals and where we envisaged ourselves in a few years. In my letter I wrote about how upon returning from Norway, I will get a job, save up and travel the world. Following that I shall apply for University to do Fine Art or Photography and eventually become a successful artist. Looking back at the letter I am so pleased to say I succeeded in doing all that. I travelled around the world for 9 months then upon returning got a place at Newcastle University and last year graduated with a 2:1 degree in Creative Practice, specializing in Fine Art and Photography!! I have since had two exhibitions and I’m currently in the process of starting my own clothing label featuring my artwork alongside working on more exhibitions!

My time with EVS was an enlightening, enriching and mind-opening experience that I will never forget. Next year I am planning on doing another EVS program. The world’s a big place out there, and remember, everything is possible."