Thursday 6 October 2011

TESTIMONY from Charlotte, volunteer in Greece (Short Term EVS)

Charlotte in her project.


''During the project I did art like Stained glass painting, making signs for the flat, at the youth Center. I collected rocks to decorate the garden, made ornaments for the garden like paint lanterns, make bugs out of light bulbs, cut out flyers, stick writing on posters and put out chairs and tables for a film festival.''
Charlotte




''I'm charlotte Burton. I come from a small village near Settle. I went for a month to Greece for an EVS project.  I learned to do certain things I didn't know how to do like stain glass painting. In the future I want to go on another project but longer next time.

On the 29th July we caught the train to the airport; we stayed in a hotel overnight as our flight was at 6.00am. Gabby and I caught the plane to Atehns, it was a 4 hours flight. When we arrived in Greece the weather was like a blast of heat, we saw a difference in the landscape. We caught the train to Korinthos. We arrived at Korinthos train station; Iwanna the mentor, met us and took us to the apartment. We arrived on Friday so we had two days to explore and settle into our new surroundings.

Our first project started on the Monday, we painted the glass in the kitchen (stain glass painting), of pictures of leaves and the sun.

Our second project was preparing the youth centre for a film festival. We started by painting lanterns, which we panted red for the outside of the youth centre. We made bugs out of light bulbs and other materials, which looked great. Next I helped by collecting stones to decorate the garden, cut out flyers, sticking information on posters, make decorations for outside, and set out chairs for the festival. This took nearly four weeks to prepare, the festival was a great success and I enjoyed being involved.

It wasn't all work I had fun as well. I have learnt to be more independent and confident, the most important thing is that I have tried my best, both in my work and to make new friends.
We left on the 26th August, sad to leave but enjoyed every moment of it. I am hoping that I am lucky enough to have another opportunity to go on another project to help volunteer in helping others.

I learned to do certain things and I didn't know how to do like stain glass painting. In the future I want to go on another project but longer next time.''

Charlotte

Project part of INCLUSION FOR ALL
and supported by the British Council
and the Youth in Action programme
of the European Commission