Thursday 2 June 2011

Testimony from Beth, Long Term volunteer in Peru

''I can’t believe I am almost halfway through my EVS placement. It has been a whirlwind ride mainly because I have been kept so busy. I am slowly finding my rhythm and feeling more confident in my roles."

Finding the time to practise my Spanish has really helped my volunteer experience in general and I am keen to extend my stay if I can! I work as a volunteer coordinator and currently also teach English and Sports.  I like the variation in the tasks that I have and even though I did not set out to be a teacher, I do appreciate the skills I am learning from managing a class full of children.
Living in the volunteer house has been an experience in itself as there are 20 of us living together from more than 10 countries in Europe and all over the world.  It has been great to share our cultures and especially our food!  There is a lot of energy in the team and we all keep each other focussed on the work we came out to do. Over the four-day Easter break a group of us took a trip to a beautiful town in the mountains– it was such a change from the noise and chaos of Trujillo. Apart from that, I’ve found a local Thai-boxing club, have started traditional Peruvian dance classes, and am progressing slowly at surfing! ''
Beth, Long Term volunteer in Peru
Project part of BREAKING BARRIERS
BUILDING PARTNERSHIP
and supported by EACEA
and the Youth in Action Programme