Friday 6 May 2011

TESTIMONY from Andy, Long Term volunteer in Costa Rica

Andy in the Biological Reserve

“I'm working in a Biological Reserve called FUDEBIOL, surrounded by forest and mountains from where the Quebradas river flows. Duties include maintenance of the reserve, planting trees, cleaning the lagoon and following Jesus (the Park Ranger). We're encouraged to start projects of our own and I'm hoping to start a vegetable garden soon.”


''Only two months down and another four to look forward too. Don't think six months will be long enough...''

After a gruelling journey from Edinburgh via York, Leeds, London and Newark I finally reach San Jose in Costa Rica.


My first two weeks are spent learning Spanish in the city centre and getting to know the other volunteers. I've never met so many Germans in my life.. Even when I was in Germany! San Jose is definitely different from any other city I've been to before. Barbed wire on the top of every house and shop, gangs everywhere, no street names and crazy directions from Tico's (Costa Rican's) who can never say "I don't know." When looking for a particular building I'm often told something like "Find Taco Bell then look for the tallest tree and go East for three blocks."Every Tico will give you different directions for the same place!" While shopping in the San Pedro Mall I hear a few loud bangs. Everyone starts running and I'm locked inside a shop.Later I'm told that someone had robbed one of the shops with a gun. Five minutes later people are walking around like nothing happened.




After two weeks of being lost in San Jose I'm delighted to be finally sent to my project in Quebradas, four km North of the small town San Isidro. I arrive feeling rough after a party with the fellow volunteers. Memories of standing on stage in an elephant thong singing Happy Birthday to a German friend are etched on my mind forever along with some funky moves on the dance floor. Living in Quebradas is like living in a post-card.The views are amazing and the people are awesome. I love my new family, job, rabbit and the fact that women out number men nine to one here! San Isidro is a small town with a population of about 50,000 with a massive church in the middle making it impossible for even me to get lost. The small road North leads to my village Quebradas then a further three km up the mountain takes you into my work place for the next 6 months.


I'm working in a Biological Reserve called FUDEBIOL, surrounded by forest and mountains from where the Quebradas river flows. Duties include maintenance of the reserve, planting trees, cleaning the lagoon and following Jesus (the Park Ranger). We're encouraged to start projects of our own and I'm hoping to start a vegetable garden soon. I'm woken at five am every morning by a chorus of dogs of which I plan to eat at some point before I leave for Scotland. Especially my neighbours little mutt. The EXPO's in town. It's a popular event that travels through Costa Rica It's on TV all the time and everyone loves it. It's a kind of rodeo with people getting chased by bulls in an arena. The bulls aren't harmed and the event lasts for four hours with about 25-30 bulls at diferent times.I never knew how fast I can run until now!


I spent a weekend at Puerto Jimanez and The Corcovado National Park and see crocodiles, scarlet Macaws, squirrel monkeys, spider monkeys, white faced monkeys, tapir and a rare Jaguarundi. After eating snails, octopus and squid I'm ready to start a new day by eating bulls testicles. Not so easy to keep down! We're sunbathing on a long, flat stretch of grass in the middle of the rain forest which turns out to be a landing strip for a small plane that takes lazy people to the camp site. It's not everyday that your asked to move because there's a plane coming. I set off for Peru for three days where I stay in a five star hotel complete with swimming pool on the roof and a fantastic view of Lima's beach. I'm here for a meeting with my sending organisation to learn about other opportunities in volunteering and share our experiences with other people who have projects in Peru. It's so nice to have a hot shower and a bath. First I've had for two months. I spend my time in Lima looking like a NikNak because of one mental mosquito in Costa Rica the night before my flight.


The calm before the storm. Now I must leave for San Jose for my International presentation. I'm with a new family now and living with some of the other volunteers for a week while we prepare for a day of cultural exchange. I prepare a table for Scotland and include information about haggis, deep-fried Mars bar's, Nessie, Robert Burns, William Wallace, whisky, Scottish inventions and charge people for the pleasure of trying Soupa de Andy, shortbread, Irn Bru (Fanta with an Irn Bru label slapped on) and listening to my sweet, sweet voice destroying Flower O Scotland. At 11:00 and 13:30 I make my way to the auditorium to read To a Mouse by Robert Burns and sing Auld Lang Syne to groups of around 20. Alex copied the words down for me and managed to squeeze in the word "bum" to which I read out before noticing. Thanks man! I really wish someone would have told me earlier that while at my Scottish stall selling food, I was asking people in Spanish if they had a man, instead on if they are hungry. Hombre and hambre sound far too similar! After the madness that is San Jose I'm so glad to be returning home to San Isidro, my mountain retreat. Only two months down and another four to look forward too. Don't think six months will be long enough...

Andy, volunteer in Costa Rica.
Project part of BREAKING BARRIERS
BUILDING PARTNERSHIP
and supported by EACEA
and the Youth in Action Programme