Monday 16 May 2011

TESTIMONY from Alex, Long Term Volunteer in Costa Rica



''During my first week I was introduced to the most common tasks to expect including watering plants, raking leaves and other general gardening tasks. I was also allowed the time to explore the trails and use the andarivel (a zip-line going across a small valley). After the first week the tasks have become more varied with the cutting down of trees, planting new plants, building a new compost shelter and also some vegetable patches among other things.''
Alex, Volunteer in Costa Rica



After being picked up from the airport and driving through San José to the ACI (host organisation) office the excitement of being half the way across the world and of the six month adventure ahead really began to sink in. Although exhausted after the long journey I couldn’t help but try and take in every sight and every sound. First impressions of my host family and house in San José were really good – with a fantastic night time view over the city greeting me on my arrival.

Before getting to explore San José I was whisked off for an induction weekend, in a place called Orotina, with my fellow new volunteers and others who had already been in Costa Rica for about 6 months. The location was beautiful and spending the weekend getting to know new people and having fun, games and parties just added to my existing excitement.

On returning to San José, I then had two more weeks of orientation and Spanish lessons before heading off to my project. Spanish lessons were for three hours every afternoon and the evenings were filled with activities such as a film night, dancing and football. Although enjoying my time in San José nearing the end of the two weeks my enthusiasm to get to my project and start working had grown, especially after being given a presentation on exactly what it would be like.

Before leaving for our respective projects, ACI had a leaving party for the volunteers, thoughtfully organised the night before I had to leave at 5 in the morning to travel to my project. Leaving the city life of San José and travelling through the mountains and the central valley was my first real experience of the real Costa Rica – beautiful countryside, rolling hills and dodgy roads.

The first impression of my new home, Quebradas, was of just how ‘tranquilo’ it was. Far removed from the busy city of the past two weeks it was nice to be able to walk down the street and hear only wildlife and breathe fresh air. My new host family were better than I could have wished for – so welcoming and always wanting to do things for me. Treating me as a member of the family right away I felt right at home just with the temperature about 20 degrees higher than I’m used to in February.

With a couple of days until I officially began work on the biological reserve (FUDEBIOL) my host brother offered to take me and my fellow volunteer Andy to visit it and show us around. This was my first experience of ‘the hill’ – a 3km walk up the side of a mountain to get to work. I’d been informed of this before but wasn’t sure whether it had just been over exaggerated to prepare me for this walk 5 days a week for the next 5 months. Honestly, the first time wasn’t too bad. It wasn’t until the end of the first week that the prospect of walking up the hill after just waking up didn’t seem to appealing.

Although already having seen pictures, I was not ready for the treat that greeted me on arrival at FUDEBIOL for the first time. Such a picturesque location with views over the surrounding hills and down through the valley, a lagoon, a butterfly garden and a variety of interesting wildlife. Not to mention the five trails through tropical forest (one containing a waterfall) on which to explore the reserve even more.

Another bonus was that I would be answering to Jesus for the next 5 months. Jesus was my boss! A small, middle-aged Tico (Costa Rican) with a cheeky grin who, although not speaking too much English, was proficient in ‘Spanglish’ and would be watching over me for my stay in FUDEBIOL.

During my first week I was introduced to the most common tasks to expect including watering plants, raking leaves and other general gardening tasks. I was also allowed the time to explore the trails and use the andarivel (a zip-line going across a small valley). After the first week the tasks have become more varied with the cutting down of trees, planting new plants, building a new compost shelter and also some vegetable patches among other things.

As well as the work in FUDEBIOL I have also become involved in helping with the vegetable patch in the local school, going once a week to help the students with the growing of vegetables to be used in the school kitchen – not only educational and good fun for the students but a useful way for me to improve my Spanish.
After being in Costa Rica for about a month and a half I visited the Corcovado national park on the south pacific coast which was one of the most amazing places I’ve ever been to. Being billed as one of the most bio-diverse places on earth and the ‘real Costa Rica’ it definitely lived up to my expectations. Seeing Scarlet Macaws, Squirrel, White-faced and spider monkeys and a Tapir was without doubt reward for two days of gruelling hiking through rainforest and on beaches in blazing heat. My only disappointment was that I didn’t get to see the elusive puma.

I’ve since visited the beach in a place about 35km from where I live, on the pacific coast, called Dominical. It’s definitely not the nicest beach I’ve ever been to but the sea was amazingly powerful and warm and great for riding the waves.

Nearing the end of my first three months here and I was invited to take part in an international day promoting England with my fellow English volunteers from different projects. This entailed a full week of preparation in San José before a full day in which we had a room of our own to present our country. Coming joint fourth we won a bottle of red wine to share between 11 people and a T-shirt each. After a week in San José which I thoroughly enjoyed I was more than ready to return to Quebradas, which had become like home, and see my family again. 

Alex, Volunteer in Costa Rica
Project part of BREAKING BARRIERS
BUILDING PARTNERSHIP
and supported by EACEA
and the Youth in Action Programme